Move over, ATGames. M2 is here to save the day!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Move over, ATGames. M2 is here to save the day!

Postby Sonicx9 » May 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Update: https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/16/18627 ... lease-date next wave has the rare Mega Man: The Wily Wars game. All it needs is Rocket Knight Adventures and it perfect.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 16th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Still missing stuff in my book like a few major 1st party releases, but amazing lineup none the less so far.

Of the big Japanese 3rd parties, I'm mostly happy with what I see and I've been very pleased with what's included from Konami and Capcom. But it needs one more staple and that's Capcom's Mercs. Judging by wave 3, I think this one stands a good chance of being in the last 10. It also needs a couple of good vertical shooters like Fire Shark.

A glaring hole is the racing game genre. The underrated futuristic racer Outrun 2019 stands a strong chance since it's already announced for the non-Japanese release of the system in Asia. But it could also use some regular Outrun, maybe Super Hang-On, and perhaps even Virtua Racing.

It's especially in need of some western releases. Electronic Arts in particular was a noteworthy Genesis developer. While their famous sports games are likely cost prohibitive to include a taste of here for licensing reasons (Fine by me, but will be a negative for many like the VGC), there's no reason if they're really out to appeal to Westerners why we can't get a few games like Desert Strike included.

Some sentimental favorites of mine that stand absolutely no chance of inclusion since I'm sure they're not even on their radar, would be the amazing Roadblasters port that the Genesis received and Domark's Formula One. The latter's fate is sealed even if many a Genesis fan had fond memories of it, since it has obvious licensing implications with its name even though it's just a port of Vroom from the Amiga.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 16th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Atariboy wrote:Still missing stuff in my book like a few major 1st party releases, but amazing lineup none the less so far.

Of the big Japanese 3rd parties, I'm mostly happy with what I see and I've been very pleased with what's included from Konami and Capcom. But it needs one more staple and that's Capcom's Mercs. Judging by wave 3, I think this one stands a good chance of being in the last 10. It also needs a couple of good vertical shooters like Fire Shark.

A glaring hole is the racing game genre. The underrated futuristic racer Outrun 2019 stands a strong chance since it's already announced for the non-Japanese release of the system in Asia. But it could also use some regular Outrun, maybe Super Hang-On, and perhaps even Virtua Racing.

It's especially in need of some western releases. Electronic Arts in particular was a noteworthy Genesis developer. While their famous sports games are likely cost prohibitive to include a taste of here for licensing reasons (Fine by me, but will be a negative for many like the VGC), there's no reason if they're really out to appeal to Westerners why we can't get a few games like Desert Strike included.

Some sentimental favorites of mine that stand absolutely no chance of inclusion since I'm sure they're not even on their radar, would be the amazing Roadblasters port that the Genesis received and Domark's Formula One. The latter's fate is sealed even if many a Genesis fan had fond memories of it, since it has obvious licensing implications with its name even though it's just a port of Vroom from the Amiga.

You are right EA is not on it yet, but keep in note they did backstabbed Sega during the Dreamcast era and now backstabbed Nintendo during the Wii U/Switch era, so let that sink in.

Also the Asian version website of the Mega Drive Mini: http://asia.sega.com/mdmini/cht/titlelist.html only shows Japan covers not the official Asian version covers which look like this.

As you can tell these are official Asian version covers and in fact on Sega Retro: https://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_consoles_in_Asia Asia is all over the place compared to other regions.

And for fans of Shonen Jump/Toonami and Adult Swim before moving to Toonami, they have confirmed Yu Yu Hakusho Makyō Tōitsusen for the Japan version making it the 3rd license game not counting the two Disney games that were previously announced. And the first Japanese Anime/license to originate from Japan for this device. This may open the door for Shin Seikimatsu Kyūseishu Densetsu: Hokuto no Ken aka Fist of the North Star: The New Legend of the Post-Apocalyptic Messiah aka Last Battle without license outside of Japan and Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden (which makes sense for both games as the former is related to the recent Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise Yakuza spin-off game, and the later is from Bandai Namco who has put stuff on the Mega Drive Mini in Japan/Asia and can capitalize on the success of Dragon Ball FighterZ.)

Speaking of M2, they helped out the recent Castlevania Anniversary Collection for PC/PS4/Xbox One and Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgm2sEnzyM

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 16th, 2019, 11:39 pm

When it comes to any business, there really is no such thing as “backstabbing.” Why would EA continue to support the Wii U? Simply put, third party games sold poorly, so why invest the time and resources? The same goes for the Saturn/Dreamcast. How well would a game like Madden have sold on a console that had an install base of, what, three or four million in the states? That’s like being mad at Square for ditching Nintendo for the then-greener pastures of Sony. It worked out well for them.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 17th, 2019, 12:03 am

BanjoPickles wrote:When it comes to any business, there really is no such thing as “backstabbing.” Why would EA continue to support the Wii U? Simply put, third party games sold poorly, so why invest the time and resources? The same goes for the Saturn/Dreamcast. How well would a game like Madden have sold on a console that had an install base of, what, three or four million in the states? That’s like being mad at Square for ditching Nintendo for the then-greener pastures of Sony. It worked out well for them.

I know I should have said something else instead, but based on EA bad past with Sega during the Sega CD/32X/Saturn/Dreamcast era, it may be the reason why no EA love is on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini currently.

Also look the Nintendo Switch has recently outsold the PS4 in Japan: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 97&t=17766, and it may outsell the Xbox One worldwide sooner or later, yet EA has done next to nothing on Switch other then two really gimped crappy FIFA ports, and indie games like FE (using Unity) and a late Unravel Two port (Modified PhyreEngine) as EA has yet to bring Madden/NHL/NBA Live or even The Sims 4 or Burnout Paradise Remastered, all easy shoeins for Switch that are not even on Switch what a joke for a big 3rd party like that as even the OG Wii got some of that stuff in some form or another. And Activision only big Switch support are the Crash Bandicoot games (N. Sane Trilogy and Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled), and Diablo III port via Blizzard Entertainment (Activision is Blizzards parent BTW), and Skylanders: Imaginators and that is it. No Call of Duty despite WWII requires a Potato i3 CPU on PC and the more ambitious Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 require a i5 CPU on PC what a joke for Activision case. Also meanwhile smaller companies like Inti Creates, NIS, Hamster, and Arc System Works have done way more with way less money. It lame.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 17th, 2019, 11:56 am

I think the reason why we're not seeing equal support on Switch is because Nintendo's success is far more complicated, when it comes to third parties. If PS4/XBONE are successful, a lot of that is predicated upon third party support. Games like Madden, FIFA, and the like will always sell best on PS/MS.

If you look at third party support on Switch, which is the best it has been on a Nintendo console since Gamecube, maybe even SNES, they're still mostly lagging behind PS4/XBONE. Skyrim, for instance, may have sold over a million on Switch, but that's still less than what was sold on the competition; the same goes for Diablo III, Doom, Wolfenstein II. The two exceptions, off the top of my head, are Dark Souls Remaster (sold less than the PS4 port, but more than what it cleared on Xbox One) and L.A. Noire (once again, less than what was sold on PS4, but more than the Xbox One port).

EA is that weird company that is looking for the BIG payout! They won't find that on Switch, and they're partly to blame (though it is more complicated than them simply undersupporting the console with gimped ports). Honestly, I'm surprised that more major development houses aren't supporting Switch with major releases, because it gives them something far more valuable than a mere gimmick: a console that you can take with you anywhere! Imagine, circa 1989, being able to take an NES with you on road trips, airplanes, on buses, to the park, etc. We would have flipped our lids! Switch provides that, and the fact that it can run games like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Warframe is pretty amazing! With the moderate success of the previously-mentioned titles, and the wild success stories of so many indie titles, this is the closest that Nintendo has come to recapturing the SNES-era level of support! Nintendo themselves deserve a lot of that credit for forming those partnerships, and taking chances that they previously wouldn't have considered.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 17th, 2019, 12:52 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I think the reason why we're not seeing equal support on Switch is because Nintendo's success is far more complicated, when it comes to third parties. If PS4/XBONE are successful, a lot of that is predicated upon third party support. Games like Madden, FIFA, and the like will always sell best on PS/MS.

If you look at third party support on Switch, which is the best it has been on a Nintendo console since Gamecube, maybe even SNES, they're still mostly lagging behind PS4/XBONE. Skyrim, for instance, may have sold over a million on Switch, but that's still less than what was sold on the competition; the same goes for Diablo III, Doom, Wolfenstein II. The two exceptions, off the top of my head, are Dark Souls Remaster (sold less than the PS4 port, but more than what it cleared on Xbox One) and L.A. Noire (once again, less than what was sold on PS4, but more than the Xbox One port).

EA is that weird company that is looking for the BIG payout! They won't find that on Switch, and they're partly to blame (though it is more complicated than them simply undersupporting the console with gimped ports). Honestly, I'm surprised that more major development houses aren't supporting Switch with major releases, because it gives them something far more valuable than a mere gimmick: a console that you can take with you anywhere! Imagine, circa 1989, being able to take an NES with you on road trips, airplanes, on buses, to the park, etc. We would have flipped our lids! Switch provides that, and the fact that it can run games like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Warframe is pretty amazing! With the moderate success of the previously-mentioned titles, and the wild success stories of so many indie titles, this is the closest that Nintendo has come to recapturing the SNES-era level of support! Nintendo themselves deserve a lot of that credit for forming those partnerships, and taking chances that they previously wouldn't have considered.

As for 3rd party success on Switch it does exsist with many middle tier to niche games such as NIS games, many Lego and Sonic games, Little Dragons Cafe (created by Yasuhiro Wada of Harvest Moon aka Story of Seasons/ Bokujō Monogatari fame which has been long time Nintendo exclusive/related to Nintendo also produced Magical Pop'n for the Super Famicom in Japan so this explains the sales figures.), Mega Man 11, Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Dragon Ball games, and My Hero: One’s Justice in the NA/Japan region even though it sold better on PS4 in the PALand region a play on PAL and Poland regions that do not like Nintendo.

Also games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy sold better on Switch then Xbox One although PS4 versions sold better given their PlayStation root franchise. It really western AAA suport that weak on Nintendo which is not a surprise.

As for genres Switch has the best Fighting, SHMUP, RPG support in ages for Nintendo hardware. It platformer and puzzle libraries destroy PS4 and Xbox One, it just weak on FPS, Sports and Racing sims 3 genres that sell like crap on Nintendo save for the N64. And even though companies like Id software and Visual Concept have given Switch love with Doom, Wolfenstein and NBA 2K. It not enough as those games are on PS4/Xbox One and are better their with that audience.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 4th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Final batch of games announced and now 42 total in all regions.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/sega-genesi ... -announced

Looks good except for not having Rocket Knight Adventures! :(

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 4th, 2019, 3:29 pm

pacman000 wrote:Saturn & Dreamcast are probably still to hard to emulate; Master System & Game Gear probably don't have enough nostalgia behind them to be marketable.

Very true on the difficulty in emulating the Saturn and Dreamcast. It is not as cost effective to mass produce emulations of those two and many game licences for third party games would be a bear to work out on top of that.

For the Master System and Game Gear, the nostalgia outside of the odd Sonic game is almost non-existent in the US. The Master System might have more nostalgia in areas where it sold well (Europe, Brazil), but in the US it is more of a curiosity than anything. And the Game Gear is often classified as inferior to the MS in comparison, usually due to screen crunch (Sonic 2 is a GREAT example of the Master System vs Game Gear view that many have).

Mind you, I would love to see some of the Master System or Game Gear games brought back, and I would LOVE to see Saturn games brough up (namely games that I never got to play, such as Golden Axe - The Duel and Dragon Force), but given what is being done with the 2019 Genesis Mini, I'll take what I can get.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 5th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Full line up from Wikipedia with notes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Mini

5 games are Asia exclusive

10 are Japan/Asia exclusive

7 are Japan exclusive

4 NA/PAL/Asia exclusive

13 are NA/PAL exclusive

23 are on all version of the device world wide

2 NA/PAL/Japan exclusive

Return to “Modern Gaming”