Yoku's Island Express

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
pickle_chugger

Yoku's Island Express

Postby pickle_chugger » April 8th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Anybody else tried this game out? The cutesy title was a major turn-off and delayed my purchase, but saw it on clearance and picked it up for 15 bucks for the Switch. Don't sleep on this game! It's a hybrid pinball platformer that has had me hooked for the last couple weeks. Seriously one of the top tier Switch titles in my collection. There is a demo available on the nintendo eshop. Give it a spin and you will see how this mail delivering pinball bug will capture your imagination.

Herschie

Re: Yoku's Island Express

Postby Herschie » April 9th, 2019, 12:45 am

What system? Yoshi is my Mariokart and Smash arch-rival, but this sounds fun!

Retro STrife

Re: Yoku's Island Express

Postby Retro STrife » April 9th, 2019, 12:57 am

Yes - a true hidden gem that has flown under most gamers’ radars! I actually haven’t played the game yet, but I did buy it for PS4. Like you, the cutesy look and uninspiring name led me to have no interest in it... until I saw the excellent reviews and watched some videos of it.

Yoku’s Island Express is a platform-adventure/pinball game, but it’s actually a Metroidvania game too... a Metroidvania + PINBALL game to be most exact. What a weird genre mash-up, right?... but all the critics say it works very well and is very fun to play. The entire game is one big game of pinball, and pinball is your only way to move around the game world, as you gradually unlock new areas. If you like unique games, check this one out! It’s an indie game, released for download, but there are physical copies too. Should be under $20 now- available on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.

Return to “Now Playing”