No one to play games with

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: No one to play games with

Postby velcrozombie » April 27th, 2020, 11:51 pm

The recent outbreak has actually been the source of the first reliable co-op gaming I've had in probably 7-8 years. My cousin lives next door and doesn't have much else going on at the moment and he's been coming over almost every day for 2-3 hours in the late afternoon to play. I generally gravitate towards single-player stuff but I've had a few newer multiplayer games sitting around for a while without anyone to play them with (I have a data cap that makes online difficult and I have different tastes in multiplayer stuff from my younger friends at work anyway) plus some old favorites from when we were kids and it's been nice to be able to break them out. I've even been tweaking my setup so we can quickly switch from one system to another. I'll be going back to work full-time again plus starting classes but we're going to continue playing one evening each week for the foreseeable future.

comchia

Postby comchia » April 28th, 2020, 1:27 am

I'm lucky in that my brother usually is down to play with me, even living in different states, but finding a group for multiplayer can be a pain sometimes, especially with older titles. There's quite a few MS-DOS titles I wanna run multiplayer (Syndicate and Descent come to mind), but that can be tricky. I think there's a reddit group called Playdate that allows for open calls to play multiplayer games.

For non-video games, Roll20 has been an absolute godsend for doing D&D sessions under quarantine. It's to the point where rolls have become slower because everyone is playing it a lot more often.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » April 28th, 2020, 8:55 am

I have my wife and 2 kids (ages 7 and 10), so I'm lucky that I have people to play games with. Right now, we're all working on Link's Awakening for Switch. It started with me playing alone, but then 1 of the kids will come down to the basement and start to help then before I know it the whole family is with me passing around the controller and offering suggestions as to where to go next, etc. It's been fun!

As well, we're still playing Overcooked 2, which is a riot (but can also start arguments!)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 29th, 2020, 9:51 pm

I suppose now is an inopportune time to be up for a balloon battle in Super Mario Kart on the SNES.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 29th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Lol. A little. I actually like battle mode best on SNES because of the flat, small courses and the feather.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 6th, 2020, 1:29 am

I have made a few friends at work who game. Only one problem: I work from home, and none of them live any closer than 2 hours from me. As cool as they are to chat with online, nobody is going to drive two hours to play Mariokart. Especially given what we like to smoke and what we like to drink while we play.

Then my buddy from when we were in junior high keeps on pestering me to come over, but same issue, I like on the north side of Chicago, and he lives in the south suburbs. A Lyft would be like 95 dollars each way, so that means I'd have to drive and stay sober. And being married with a full time job, it's hard enough visiting someone 20 minutes away, let alone an hour and a half.

Oh well I guess it's back to square one!

Voor

Postby Voor » October 6th, 2020, 1:29 pm

You could play online with them. Just have them on a group call with your phone if the game doesn’t have chat options. My brother and I have done that and it’s a lot of fun.

Return to “Video Games General”