New local multiplayer games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
noah98

New local multiplayer games

Postby noah98 » March 10th, 2020, 9:16 am

I just got a physical copy of River City Melee Mach at a local game shop for my Nintendo Switch. It's an import physical release, but it's completely in English. It's a pretty basic game, but for the price, I'm having a lot of local multiplayer fun with it! One of the stages even has the Double Dragon music. It's a modern sequel to the old Famicom fighting game, Nekketsu Kakutō Densetsu.

https://www.play-asia.com/river-city-me ... /13/70cz4z

If you like local multiplayer games, this one is fun.

I also saw that Best Buy has physical copies of Duck Game. I've been playing Duck Game with my friends on PC for years, and it is an outstanding party game. I highly recommend this one while the physical copies are still available:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/duck-game- ... Id=6390278

This game is so much fun with a group of friends. Even non-gamers like it!

Finally, I also recommend Towerfall, which came out as a physical release too, but is probably sold out everywhere. Still, it's a really fun local multiplayer game as well. It's surprisingly strategic, given the simple concept and controls. It's available on just about any system right now. Here is a link to the Nintendo Switch version:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/towerfall-switch/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New local multiplayer games

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2020, 5:59 pm

noah - I just ordered a copy of Duck Game per your recommendation!

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 11th, 2020, 7:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:noah - I just ordered a copy of Duck Game per your recommendation!

I hope you like it! Every time we have family over, everybody wants to play Duck Game. It's a fun party game. So many crazy weapons/costumes.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 12th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Which of these seems to have the easiest learning curve? I’m leaning towards Towerfall, only because Duck Game may be a bit violent for the kiddos and their friends (a sentence I never thought I’d say, lol)

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 12th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Voor wrote:Which of these seems to have the easiest learning curve? I’m leaning towards Towerfall, only because Duck Game may be a bit violent for the kiddos and their friends (a sentence I never thought I’d say, lol)

Duck Game is a bit violent, even though it's cartoon violence. Towerfall is probably the best option for kids. It's deceptively strategic, but simple to play. Also, the Switch version is six player!

River City is goofy fun, but it's probably better for those who have nostalgia for it.

None of the games listed are hard to learn. They all have simple controls and basic mechanics. River City has a few advanced techniques to it. Here's a link to the web manual:

https://www.kuniokun.jp/rantokoshinkyok ... EN_103.pdf

charlie

Postby charlie » March 13th, 2020, 8:32 am

I logged in to post about Towerfall, great to see you already mentioned it. In my experience the learning curve is pretty easy on that one. We'll play five player VS matches with the family and have a great time. Even my youngest kid will win some rounds, and the power-ups keep my older kid interested. Good times!

The coop mode is fun too.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » March 13th, 2020, 10:52 am

Anyone here try Killer Queen Black? I played it obsessively online when it first came out on Switch, but haven't touched it in a couple months. Definitely a fun game, and I think I've heard that after some updates it actually supports 4v4 local play on one system.

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm

evergreen13 wrote:Anyone here try Killer Queen Black? I played it obsessively online when it first came out on Switch, but haven't touched it in a couple months. Definitely a fun game, and I think I've heard that after some updates it actually supports 4v4 local play on one system.

I bought it for my son for Christmas, but I don't think he's tried it yet. I couldn't pass it up, since it was a physical release for Switch. I think the critic might like that one too. I know it's really popular in modern arcades.

Return to “Modern Gaming”