Football: Pro Vs College

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

Football: Pro Vs College

Postby matmico399 » January 14th, 2021, 10:10 am

I read an article about five years ago that was composed by many football analysts and statisticians. It was a hypothetical what if? And done for entertainment only and for fun.

The question is, in modern times, I'll say 1990 plus is it ever possible for the greatest college team to beat a pro team? I don't think so. This article was around 2015. The experts came to a decision that Alabama was the best C team, and the Jaguars of the NFL the worst. Their prediction was Jaguars 38 Alabama 17. I think that would be pretty accurate. Your thoughts?

ActRaiser

Re: Football: Pro Vs College

Postby ActRaiser » January 14th, 2021, 11:53 am

I don't know. I love me some Dallas Cowboys. But, this year they played like a high school football team. I'm pretty sure Alabama could have taken them.

In years past when Detroit Lions would go 2 and 14 they probably could have beaten them as well. Now, I don't think so but certainly in the past.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 14th, 2021, 12:25 pm

It's a fun hypothetical. I used to think about that as a kid, and it seemed like a reasonable thought back then. But now that I understand it better, I don't think it's that realistic. I think of it like this: The best college teams might only have 5-10 players that will be drafted into the NFL, let alone make a team and become a starter someday. Meanwhile, even the worst pro team has 22 players on the field that played in college and became an NFL starter. So on paper, even the worst NFL team is usually way more talented and experienced than the best college team.

That said, you look at a team like the LSU squad from 2019 that had a record of 14 players drafted in the NFL and you start to wonder. The best shot would be a team like 2019 LSU that had an excellent college QB (Joe Burrow) against a terrible NFL team with a terrible QB - where the QB disparity might make up for the deficiencies elsewhere. Even then, it's a longshot and would be a big upset win.

jon

Postby jon » January 14th, 2021, 3:35 pm

I think every few years there are some truly pathetic NFL teams that not only have terrible players but are a dysfunctional team. There are times when the best college team could’ve beaten a really bad NFL team. But I don’t think any of these recent teams play good defense. It would’ve had to have been a college team with a great defense.

Return to “Other Media”